What is Recast?
Recast is a social sharing and discovery tool we've created to make it incredibly easy for you to create short audio clips with a striking visual component to share on social media, blogs, and even messaging services like iMessage and Slack.
How to Make a Recast Video
Once you've added an episode in your Simplecast account, you'll have the option to launch the Recast editor and create a Recast video for it. Follow the steps below to learn how to customize and create your Recast.
1. How to Add Custom Artwork and Customize the Border Color
In the left column when adding or editing episodes, look for the heading 'Recast Art (Optional)'.
ℹ️ The default cover art for your show will be used for Recast if you do not add custom artwork.
- Drag & Drop or click box to add custom artwork.
Recommended Recast custom image dimensions should be 1200x855 pixels in JPG or PNG format.
- Use Zoom Slider to zoom in/out.
- Click X in top-right corner to remove custom image and re-upload or use Show Cover Art.
- Click on 'Recast Border Color' for color picker or to had custom RGB hex code.
- Click on the '+' in the color picker to save custom color swatches.
- Press 'Save' when finished.
2. How to Launch the Recast Editor
Once you've saved your episode, you'll be able to launch the Recast editor from the episode overview page.
- Click on the 3 dots (Quick Edit Menu) in the lower-right corner of any episode card and click on 'Details & Sharing'.
- Click on the Recast button in the Web Players & Recast section to launch the Recast Editor:
Once you launch the Recast editor, choose the snippet of audio you'd like to include in the clip, then click the Recast & Share button to generate the Recast.
That's it! You can now download your Recast video and use it to promote your episode.
* * *
Q: Where can I share my Recast video clip?
Once you've created a Recast video, you can share it anywhere you can upload a square video file, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, iMessage, and many other places.
Q: When sharing a Recast clip, should I include a description of my episode and a link to it as well?
Yes! You should definitely share what you think is interesting or noteworthy about the episode, along with a link to where people can find the full episode if they're interested.
Q: Can my listeners also create Recasts?
Yes! Your listeners can launch the Recast editor from any of your Simplecast embeddable audio players, or from your show's Simplecast site.
* * *
Still have questions? We'd be happy to answer them. You can start a live chat with someone from our team by clicking on the chat icon down there on the right.