What are podcast categories?
Categories and sub-categories are used by Apple Podcasts and other directories to categorize and organize shows by topics to help your show get discovered by new listeners.
💡 Apple announced new Enhanced Podcast Categories that will go live in August of 2019. Learn more here: Everything Podcasters Need To Know About Enhanced Apple Podcasts Categories.
Simplecast fully supports Apple's new categories, and we have instructions below that show how to update the top-level categories and sub-categories for your show in your Simplecast dashboard.
You may select up to 3 top-level categories & 3 sub-categories (we recommend you select all 3 to improve discoverability). The 1st category and sub-category are the most important, so select categories that are most relevant to your show.
Some categories do not have sub-categories and that is okay. Sub-categories are not required, but are recommended.
How To Update the Categories For Your Show on Simplecast
- Log in to your Simplecast dashboard.
- Click the Show Settings link in the show menu in the top-left side of your dashboard (see screenshot).
- Scroll down till you see the Categorization section.
- Select the 1st category by using the drop-down menu. Select a category that is most relevant to your show topic. This is the most important category, so pick the best category possible.
- Select the best sub-category for your show in the right column if there is one available.
- Repeat steps for 2nd & 3rd categories & subcategories.
- Click the Save button in the top-right when finished.
Enhanced Apple Podcast Categories (full list):
New to podcasting? Check out this helpful free article on the Simplecast Blog:
Absolutely Everything You Need to Know to Start Your Podcast.
• • •
Have questions? Our support team of professional podcasters have the answers!
Reach out through our live chat system to get help, or browse the helpful articles in our knowledge base.