📌 Important Notes:
- If you are not sure how or when to set a 301 Redirect, please reach out to the Simplecast support team first so you do not run the risk of losing your podcast subscribers.
- Do not set a 301 Redirect until the import process and setup is complete and you are ready to start publishing new episodes on Simplecast to all of the podcast directories.
- Analytics Tip:
Art19 analytics cannot be migrated or imported to your Simplecast dashboard, so you may want to export analytics and data reports for your records before moving the show to Simplecast.
In this article:
- What are the steps to move a show from Art19 to Simplecast?
- What is a 301 Redirect?
- How to Set a 301 Redirect on Art19
- How to Test if the 301 Redirect is working
- How To Update the Podcast Directories & Apps after the 301 Redirect
1. Steps to Move a Show from ART19 to Simplecast
- Import show to Simplecast using your ART19 RSS Feed (locate RSS Feed)
- Confirm all episodes and show information imported to Simplecast.
- Request a 301 Redirect from Art19 after you have completed the import process and are ready to stop publishing new episodes on Art19 and start publishing from Simplecast.
- Manually update any podcast directories that are not serving your Simplecast RSS Feed only after you have confirmed the 301 Redirect is in place.
2. What is a 301 redirect for a podcast?
The 301 redirect is like a change of address for your podcast RSS Feed URL and is necessary to keep your current subscribers when moving your show to Simplecast. Once you set a 301 Redirect, any requests from subscribers, devices, directories, and apps looking for your old RSS Feed URL will be forwarded to your new Simplecast RSS Feed URL.
The 301 Redirect will not forward any new episodes published to your old RSS Feed after importing your show to Simplecast. However, you can add the 'missing' episodes manually to your Simplecast dashboard and adjust the publishing date to match the original if needed.
3. How to Set a 301 Redirect on ART19?
- Email ART19 support at email@example.com and request a 301 Redirect.
- When requesting the 301 Redirect, include your Simplecast RSS Feed URL which is located in 'Show Distribution' settings in your Simplecast Dashboard.
- Wait for confirmation from Art19 that the redirect is in place.
4. How to Test if the 301 Redirect is working?
- The 301 Redirect will start working as soon as it has been set.
- You can test to see if it is working by entering your ART19 RSS Feed URL in a web browser address bar and click Enter/Return.
- If the URL in the address bar changes to your Simplecast RSS Feed URL, then the 301 Redirect is working!
5. How To Update the Podcast Directories & Apps
- First, confirm the 301 Redirect is set and working.
- The 301 Redirect should update Apple Podcasts and many other podcast directories automatically, but it is recommended you do sign into Apple Podcasts Connect and confirm you are seeing the Simplecast RSS Feed URL.
- There are a few directories that you may need to update manually with your Simplecast RSS Feed such as Spotify, Stitcher, TuneIn, iHeart Radio
- Once you confirm the 301 Redirect is working and the podcast directories are updated with your Simplecast RSS feed URL, the moving process is complete!
- You will publish new episodes and manage your show from your Simplecast dashboard and the directories will update automatically update the next time they check your Simplecast RSS Feed.
📌 Here is a complete list of links and instructions for how to update a show's feed URL in the podcast directories here.
• • •
Here are some other helpful articles you might like to check out next:
- How to Move Your Podcast to Simplecast
- How do I find my Simplecast RSS Feed URL?
- How to Publish Your Podcast on the Popular Podcast Apps
- How to Add Podcast App Badges to Your Simplecast Site and Embed Players
- Will I Lose Any Subscribers or Listeners If I Change Podcast Hosts?
- How to Invite Team Members to Your Show
* * *
Do you still have questions? We'd be happy to answer them. Contact the support team from the drop-down menu located in the top-right corner of your Simplecast dashboard or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org